Step 1. Save this link: OakStSocial.com/video
Step 2. We're @oakstsocial on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. If you post about what you learn here today -- and you should -- tag us and use the hashtag #letsgetsocial.
Step 3. Let's discover the WHY, What and How of embracing video content in 2018.
To sell more. Studies show that 74% of users who watched an explainer-video about a product subsequently bought it.
To get better Google search rankings...and sell more. You’re 53 times more likely to show up first on Google if you have a video embedded on your website. Since Google now owns YouTube, there has been a significant increase on how much videos affect your search engine rank.
To stay relevant on social. A Facebook executive recently predicted that the platform will be 100% VIDEO in less than five years.
To get more from your marketing budget. Video posts + ads generally cost less than static image ads.
Video consumption is -- obviously -- on the rise. According to one 2017 study, 90% of consumers watch videos on their mobile.
Video is easy for consumers. Today’s consumer may not have the time or motivation to read long product descriptions or dig deep into services. The modern customer wants to see the product in action.
Videos get the BEST click-through rate (CTR). The average click-through rate of video ads is 1.84%. That’s the highest CTR of all digital ad formats.
Video educates potential clients. 4 out of 5 consumers believe that demo videos are helpful (Animoto).
- Video works on all key social networks. 82% of Twitter users watch video content on Twitter (Bloomberg).
- Facebook generates 8 billion video views daily.
Here are 7 key video types for 2018. While there are many other types, these are our top 6 picks for amping up your social media marketing efforts this year.
Demo Videos: These videos show how your product works.
Event Videos: Produce a highlight reel or release interesting interviews and presentations from events.
Explainer Videos. This is different than a Demo video. Explainer videos are used to help your audience better understand why they need your product or service. Many explainer videos focus on a fictional journey of the company’s core buyer persona who is struggling with a problem.
Facebook and Instagram VIDEO stories
ACTION STEp: Pick a few types of VIDEO formats That you are comfortable producing and produce -- and post -- at least one video a WEEK this year.
85% of videos on Facebook are watched without sound!
USING An iphone or mobile phone
- Turn off notifications while you shoot by using the do not disturb feature.
- Flip your phone. Don’t shoot vertical; it’s a widescreen world.
- Get a tripod. The Joby Griptight is just $35 at Target!
Use AE/AF to lock focus. Hold finger down on subject until yellow box appears.
Get a clean space and, ideally, leave it set up for video. Decorate your space with a backdrop like those sold at SavageUniversal.com.
Studio lighting can be done on the cheap! Here's how: https://wistia.com/library/down-and-dirty-lighting-kit.
YouTube is the best video marketing platform to engage audiences through DIY videos, explainer videos, video tutorials, testimonials and behind the scene videos. It is important to note that 60% of videos on YouTube are watched on mobile devices and the sharing rate is also higher on mobile devices. So if you have been ignoring the tools and techniques that create better engagement for mobile viewers, you're limiting both your reach and sharing opportunities.
Recently, YouTube released its new features for mobile app viewers. This major redesign brought a cleaner look, adjustable play-screen and ability to view videos in portrait mode. Make your videos appropriate per the current standards and apply the following insights and guidelines courtesy of Fortunelords:
- Ideal length of a video on YouTube is less than 5 min. If you are planning to increase the length, the content in the video should be highly engaging
- Ideal aspect ratio should be 16:9
- Best place for a call to action (CTA) on a YouTube video is the 30 second mark
- Most viral videos on YouTube are nearly 10x longer than most viral videos on Facebook
- Keep the ads before the playback short and crisp
Facebook has been putting a lot of emphasis on video content in their news feed lately, which is why the frequency of video content in your news feed has increased too. This has motivated marketers to produce more videos that appear in these feeds (either organically or paid). To increase your presence on Facebook, here's what you need to know:
- To attract a high number of views, shares, likes and comments on Facebook, use funny videos, DIY tips, unboxing videos, product promotions and heartwarming cause videos
- Facebook puts a significant emphases on it's Live feature, so include live broadcasts whenever appropriate/possible
- When you plan to create a live video, it's good to plan in advance to ensure that you go live at a time when the bulk of your audience is online
- Ideal length of the video should be 1 minute - viewers lose interest after that
- Standard widescreen aspect ratio (16:9) is ideal for Facebook video
- Make sure you put extra efforts for the first 3 seconds of the video on Facebook
- Use compelling captions to attract more viewers
- 85% of Facebook videos are watched without sound because of the default setting
- Make sure your Facebook page has self-explanatory visuals associated with the video
- Facebook has recently released a Facebook "Creator" app that offers exclusive tools for creating, promoting and streaming videos
Instagram boasts 800 million monthly and 500 daily active users. Marketers have recognized the power and potential of the platform (especially post acquisition by Facebook) which is why many brands are already actively and regularly posting on Instagram.
The best way to understand marketing on Instagram is by posting the right type of video at the right time. If you get this part right, consumers will usually engage without so long as you're not regularly delivering a hard pitch.
On Instagram, you have to showcase your product/service in a creative way by sharing video or creating video advertising. Video ads appear in between the Instagram organic feed and have a high view rate. Instagram is an effective social media marketing channels for SMEs.
Use Instagram Stories - These stories are temporary 10-second picture/video clips placed at the top of Instagram feed. A proven marketing tool for brands, this ephemeral clip can drive huge engagement if handled strategically. There are various things you can do with Instagram stories like, offer exclusive content, show behind the scenes, showcase the product in action, show a countdown to launch event or ask influencers to contribute. Hubspot recommends:
- Ideal length of a video on Instagram is around 30 seconds to 1 minute
- 10 seconds is the ideal length for stories
- Ideal aspect ratio is widescreen or 1:1 and portrait mode for stories
- Optimize captions and comments with hashtags
- Adding one hashtag in the caption results in 12% more engagement
- Use Third-party tools like Boomerang and Layout for easy Instagram captures
Since the inception of Snapchat, it has brought many innovative features, which gave rise to social media trends that are changing the digital marketing dynamics. Snapchat provides its user's direct access to live events as it is a real-time social media marketing platform.
There are a lot of ways to use Snapchat for marketing. It's inventive features such as filters, text, bitmojis and geofilters, tend to create huge engagement.
Brands can use Snapchat to record videos of launches, events, trade shows, musical events, social events, etc. You can also showcase some private or behind the scenes content to provide something unique to Snapchat followers. Buffer Recommends:
- Ideal length of videos on Snapchat is 10 seconds though it has lately released a new update where you can record and post back-to-back videos up to 60 seconds
- 18:9 aspect ratio as they prefer to watch the snap keeping their phone vertically
- Make the first snap video engaging because 22% of viewers drop off after losing interest from the first snap
Twitter is a news-based social media network platform and it is naturally a great platform to share video content. Native videos on Twitter drive more engagement than third-party videos shared on Twitter; allegorically, 2.5X replies, 2.8X retweets and 1.9X favorites.
Given the extent of Twitter being used for sharing news related videos, the Twitter mobile app includes an in-app access to your mobile phone's camera to increase user experience and engage more of your followers through video content.
Twitter feeds have the fastest scroll, which is why brands should focus on creating eye-catching content. Brands can use Twitter to upload teaser, announcement, advertisement, promotional, educational and user-based content.
- Ideal length of the video should be 30 seconds to 1 minute to engage maximum viewers
- Ideal aspect ratio should be 2.39:1 so that it provides the best user experience
- Around 90% of videos are watched on mobile phones, so the brands should make sure they use a mobile-first approach
- Since viewers prefer Twitter to gather information, brands should focus on branding while sharing video content on Twitter rather than promotions